The 'Franz Binder' Museum Patrimony // Our museum collections were established in the 19th
century through donations and acquisitions that belonged to travellers and collectors of such
objects: Franz Binder, Andreas Breckner, Karl Meliska, Carl F. Jickeli, Arthur von Sachsenheim,
Herman von Hannenheim, Gustav Adolf Schoppelt, Alfred Capesius, W. Schonhut, A. Schwabe,
G.A. Seraphin, Emerich Schuleri, Hans Mallik, Rudolf Nussbacher, Christine Schuster, Helene
Fischer, Wagner von Wetterstadt a.s.o. Most of them were members of the Ardelean Society for
the Natural Sciences (Siebenburgische Verein fur Naturwissenschaften), which carried on its
activity between the second half of the 19th century and the first half of the 20th century.
Originating from various parts of the world - northern Africa and the springs of Nile, China, Japan,
Oceania, Asia Minor, Brazil, Lapland, Australia etc. - the objects belonging to the Sibian 'exotic
collection' entered into the patrimony of the Natural Sciences Museum, forming a cabinet exhibition that
was opened in the museum building until 1957.
The collections were enriched after 1990 through successive acquisitions, exchanges or donations. For
example, we can mention here: the Zairean collection purchased from Violeta and Catalin Rang from
Bacau, the ex-presidential collection of presents, comprising objects of extra-European origin, Japanese
traditional toys obtained through an exchange of collections with the Museum of Toys from Hyogo, the
national minority costumes collection donated by the Embassy of the People's Republic of China at
Bucharest a.s.o.
Chronologically speaking, the 'Franz Binder' Museum collections fall into 'old' ethnographic collections
made up of pieces donated in the second half of the 19th century, and 'new' collections entered into the
museum patrimony after 1990. The 'old' collections have the greatest value due to their content and
dimension.